House prices come with a lot of digits, but that shouldn’t scare you away from buying a home. A mortgage—as opposed to rent—allows you to slowly purchase your home over time. So, instead of paying rent and helping somebody else pay their mortgage, why not invest in your own property?
According to the InCharge Institute of America, there are many benefits to homeownership. Here are some reasons why paying a mortgage and owning your own home is better than paying rent for a temporary living space:
- The property you purchase now will most likely be worth more in the future.
- With fixed-rate mortgages, you can rely on the predictability of monthly costs.
- You have greater privacy and freedom to make your home your own, since there is no landlord overseeing the property.
Of course, owning a home and taking on a mortgage is a big responsibility. The InCharge Institute advises that you take the following into consideration before embarking on homeownership:
- You will bear the responsibility for maintenance of your home, including repairs that can range from inexpensive to complex and costly.
- Owning a home is a long-term financial commitment.
- Take other costs into consideration, such as the down payment, closing costs and moving expenses.
- Your mortgage payment may be higher than what you currently pay in rent, so make sure you can afford the increase.
In comparison, renting comes with additional costs, as well, such as security payments and damage fees you may incur.
While it is true that purchasing a home can be initially more costly, it can also work to your advantage, functioning as a savings program you can’t quit on. If you will be residing long-term in the same area, then you might as well be turning those monthly payments into property ownership. If this sounds like an investment you’re ready to take on, it might be time to go house hunting.
Subscription post from RISMedia.